Thursday, January 5, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

First an update from my last post on 12/4:  The new drug is working well.  My lungs are almost all clear of water and I'm breathing much better.  The only side effect is fatigue, which I've had to manage with all of my other drugs and my taste buds are working again!  All in all, the signs look good so far!  Now...on to my blog! 


I guess I'm a little late for Happy New Year, but it's still January, so it still counts!  I checked to see when Dale started this blog and it was on August 1, 2010.  It's amazing how much has happened since then.  When we started the blog, it was like driving a car, but with no control over the steering wheel, brake or accelerator... it just slowed down, sped up and went all over the road whenever it wanted.  I know a lot of it had to do with all of the emotions that wash over you when you hear the words "You have cancer", but it was a scary ride!  The ride still has it's bumps, but at least we have a lot more control over it. 

I also looked at the posts we did in January, 2011 to see what we posted.  No resolutions, I'm sure due to the fact that we were back up under water and had found an island to rest on, but it was still interesting to see how much has changed. 

My sister, Katie, ran the half marathon at Disney in Orlando.  She had just turned 50 and raised over $5,000 for lung cancer research!  I wasn't able to join her and cheer her on, but I did my best to cheer her on from Mason.  At least a few of my other sisters got to join her. 

I was working in January, 2011, but had just been back a few weeks and still trying to get in the swing of things.  I was able to work at home most of the time due to my wonderful manager, Rhonda, and that helped a lot.  I still made the decision, however, in February to retire in April.  Life is too short and financially I could do it, so I did.  I'm glad I did even though I still miss everyone I worked with... I really do. 

Tony was also approved for SSDI in January of last year!  He had been fighting that battle since 2008 and was so happy to finally get approved.  And now he's engaged to be married in March!  Wow...things have changed!

Dale was still working jobs as a contrator and now he's a "real" employee at CHP and he really likes it a lot.  A regular pay check AND benefits!  Woo hoo!!

As I look back over 2011, I want to thank everyone who has read our blog, sent up SEE chants and prayers, and have supported us in every way possible.  I don't think we'd be where we are today if it wasn't for all of you and the wonderful healing vibes you send out daily.  I have no resolutions for 2012 except to keep practicing the things I've learned in the last year.
  • Don't worry about the past and make peace with it because you can't change it.
  • Don't worry about the future because you can't control it. 
  • Live in the present moment...the little things and the big things. 
  • Enjoy life.
  • Laugh as much as possible and smile...it does make you feel good. 

4 comments:

  1. Great words Jackie. You inspire me every single day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Kathy! I try my best. <3 to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G-d bless Jackie and a happy, healthy, drama-free New Year to you.
    Love,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete